Fun Fact Friday: Why is Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India known as the “Blue City?” Aside from providing photographers with some great photographic opportunities, I was sure there was a better reason. However, finding an answer was harder than I thought. No one seems to know for sure, but there are definitely many theories.
- Brahmin (upper priestly caste) homeowners painted their houses blue to stand out and others ended up following suit
- The blue paint fights against termites and other bugs. Copper sulphate and other chemicals were added to the paint to cover up damage and prevent further damage and this made the paint blue. However, others say it is just natural indigo dye in the paint.
- The blue keeps away mosquitoes
- The blue represents water, important in a city located in the middle of a desert
- The blue keeps houses cool
- The blue has a calming affect
I personally think that #1 or 2 make the most sense. What do you think is the reason?